What to expect from seeing a Counsellor.
- Some people may have never been to see a counsellor before ..... and sometimes this can be slightly anxiety provoking because you do not know what to expect.
Maybe some people have experienced counselling before and have found it helpful or unhelpful..... Whatever your experience, I would like to just say a little about what counselling is and isn't.
- Counselling is a place to explore what might be going on in your life at present, in complete confidentiality. It is also a place that you can examine whether you feel comfortable with me, because this is very important. If you do not feel comfortable, you are free to look elsewhere. You are confiding personal information to someone, therefore you need to feel that you can trust someone with this information.
- Counselling gives you the opportunity to really examine what might be going on for you and requires the need for honesty on your part. We can all be afraid at times to really look at our lives and it takes a considerable amount of courage to do this.
- I am here to help you explore, by asking certain questions and sometimes showing a different perspective, also at times by making connections between past and present beliefs. I sometimes use drawing and imagery to help the process. At all times I believe in your ability to see your own worth and potential. I do not wave a magic wand over you, but enable you to try and help yourself. I am not here to give advice. Advice is something that can be conditional. I am here to accept you unconditionally and non-judgmentally.
- Ultimately we all have a choice to decide which way we want to go, hopefully a way that feels right for us and this is my role in our sessions to help you find your way.
- You may come with a set idea of how long you wish to come to counselling, if so please share this with me. Sometimes it may only take a few sessions to help you on your way. It really depends on you and what your difficulty is. With some people it may take longer and I tend to review with my clients every 4 to 6 weeks to see how they are feeling about coming to sessions.